Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ahhhh, the things kids say...

Two funny stories about our "creative" Ryan. Now, I am not categorizing him to only be a drama guy, but I'm telling you the things this kid imagines just crack us up...some amount of drama has to be in his future, right?!?!

So, Monday he's getting dressed and he wants to wear the long sleeved blue button down dress shirt and red tie. Why??? Not sure yet. So, after missing a button, I help him re-button his shirt starting at the bottom. I get about 1/2 way up his chest and he tells me to stop. He wants the rest unbuttoned. Now, I'm thinking..I can't send him to school w/half of his shirt unbuttoned...like his whole chest is exposed. What will they think of me?!? When I explain that we need to button up one more to leave just the top one unbuttoned, he tells me he needs them both unbuttoned so it can look "like my shirt got ripped open"! What?!?! It's 6:30am - where did he get that idea?

2nd story - later that night while I'm making dinner. Ryan gets ahold of a straw cowboy hat and says, "I know how to make this hat less pokey on my head. I'm going to pull out a couple of the straw pieces, ok mama?" I'm thinking, sure whatever and continue making dinner - out of his direct line of sight. After 10 minutes I wander over that way and notice a large pile of straw pieces and a large hole in the back of the hat. I gasp and his brother starts to freak out - he was his hat afterall. Ryan quickly tells me, "Mom, that hole is for the arrows!" Pretty creative I thought - and quick on his feet - anything not to have his brother and I mad at him.

How do you not love this kids imagination?!? He's going to be able to talk himself out of any situation - I think I'm seeing a small glimpse into our future with teenagers.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Yep, you're gonna need to be on the top of your game to keep on top of that boy. Get your rest & drink plenty of fluids, the teen years are gonna be work! But enjoy the hilarity now.